3

REVIEW: All the Bright Places

NETFLIX
Rated: TV-MA
Run Time: 108 minutes
Director: Brett Haley

This is an exhausting review. From now on, I feel I can only review comedies. This is no happy-go-lucky review, but I hope you read through and leave your thoughts below, because if I’m going to talk about this, I don’t want to talk about it alone.

All the Bright Places is a Netflix adaptation of the young adult (YA) novel of the same name by Jennifer Niven. It follows Theodore Finch (Justice Smith) and Violet Markey (Elle Fanning)—a pair of Indiana teens who fall in love while completing a geography project (partner projects seem to have a 99% chance of creating romantic relationships in YA novels, but only a 1% chance in real life).  Violet is struggling with the death of her sister, and while Finch seems incredibly motivated to help her get out of her dark place, his own struggle is admitting that he needs bright places just as much as she does. The movie’s trailer would have you believe that you’re about to see a typical teen drama in the same vein as The Fault in our Stars. I feel like that’s pretty misleading considering the entire movie—from start to finish—is about suicide.

That isn’t a spoiler, because when you press “play” and the Netflix logo appears on your screen, the TV-MA icon appears in the top left corner with the words, “suicide, language.” Just as Disney’s Marvel and Star Wars films have a warning for those with photosensitive epilepsy, shouldn’t we also have warnings for those who might be triggered by portrayals of suicide and self-harm? I want to acknowledge that the effort made by Netflix to be responsible in these portrayals is the best part of the movie. They show students getting help by talking to parents, counselors, and support groups, while most films seem to be about how ineffective those resources are. They are careful not to place blame on the victims of suicide or the people who lose them. At the end of the movie there is a link to a site Netflix constructed with resources for anyone looking for help for themselves or for a loved one. They have come a long way since 13 Reasons Why, and I’m grateful for that.

Elle Fanning and Justice Smith in a scene of All the Bright Places | NETFLIX

As the title suggests, there are bright places and moments throughout the film. I loved the “your turn” rock. For fear of spoiling too much of the story, I’ll suffice to say that it provides something that most movies portraying suicide do not: a sense that we have a responsibility to lift each other up, but we also have a responsibility to help ourselves; or at least, a personal responsibility to accept help when it’s offered. Moreover, that responsibility isn’t accompanied by blame or guilt; it’s made clear that everyone is trying their hardest and catharsis is possible. The leads are spot-on—both Elle Fanning’s laughter and tears are so genuine that they broke my heart. And if there were an Olympics for portraying emotions with facial expressions then Justice Smith would have Michael Phelps-level success. Unfortunately, their romantic relationship was the least convincing part of the film for me. It was supposed to be the center of the story, but its cutesy nature felt flimsy beside the tragic and painful subject matter. 

Ultimately, as a story, the movie falls flat for me. That’s so hard for me to admit; I wanted to see it succeed because of the obvious care and meticulous work that went into creating it. But I think I wanted something else from this film—I wanted the heart-breaking romance of A Star is Born, or the humorous honesty of Silver Linings Playbook, or the perspective-changing story of A Beautiful Mind, or, if all expectation could be blown out of the water, I wished I could have had something like the Anne Hathaway episode from Amazon’s Modern Love. I would recommend all of those 100 times, but not this one. I want to know how films can be better about addressing mental illnesses and suicidal feelings, so please comment below with movies you feel handle these heavy topics well, in addition to being powerful films.

Recommendation: SKIP IT

About the Author
Although I consider myself equally Californian, Oregonian, Nevadan, and Mexican, I currently reside in Reno, “The Biggest Little City in the World!" I love watching and playing most sports (I played rugby in college) but since I’m an adult with bills to pay, I also work in surgery at a local hospital. I come from a big family; if you speak Spanish I’ll force you to be my friend to help me practice. Most importantly, I’m super excited to be a part of Backseat Directors!

3 comments on REVIEW: All the Bright Places

  1. Samantha Earl says:

    A little funny, but your review makes me want to go watch it all the more. I think I’m more interested in seeing how the genuineness of feelings displayed by the actors doesn’t roll over into a believable relationship. Thank you for the article!

    1. Rachel Ogden says:

      You are welcome! I don’t know if you were asking for clarification in any way, but I’ll offer some anyway. I feel that the emotions portrayed by the actors that are most compelling are related to their personal struggles; like that immense relief that accompanies a genuine, joyful laugh after being stuck in the throes of depression and grief, or the practiced ease of a class clown hiding hopelessness. Their romantic chemistry was almost nonexistent for me, I think I would have liked the film better if they weren’t made out to be lovers.

      1. Samantha Earl says:

        I wasn’t exactly looking for clarification, but I am glad you gave it anyways! I didn’t know what I actually wanted haha That is very interesting that they might not have been able to get that chemistry across with each other, despite having all of the abilities to portray personal emotions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to top